Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fabric Chosen

Nearly six years down the track and my FIL has finally cracked the gift giving concept when it comes to me. Yay!


This year's birthday netted a lovely voucher from our local quilting shop. This shop is outstanding but just a tad spendy so I've never actually contemplated purchasing quilting fabric from here before.


I fear the flood gates may be opened.


Today I selected 9 co-ordinating fat quarters (FQs) to begin my first real project. The FQs were all located together in the shop (to help people like me find things that match, I guess). The first that I saw that really caught my eye was Michael Millers Charcol Daisy Doodle Dandy in grey, black, white, lime and teal. The other eight fabrics all match in some way, mostly in grey and lime. Until the weather fines up and I get a chance to take some pictures in natural light you can view the main fabric here

The internal debate began: To pre-wash or not to pre-wash.
Standard practice: Google to the rescue.
What I really wanted was someone just to tell me what to do.
No luck.
In the end I went for a compromise that I read about on a blog somewhere out there (sorry to much clicking through to remember where I ended up....) I filled the bathroom sink with warm water and a small amount of soap to test for colour loss and remove some of the chemicals fabrics come coated in. Swish, swish, swish and a rinse. Iron dry. Not too bad really considering all of the fabrics would have needed an iron any way.


So now I have 9 FQs prewashed, ironed and ready to go.


Ready to cut.


I'm not scared!

No comments:

Post a Comment